Main Article Content
Shisha smokers sustain unhealthy risks associated with the heavy smoke inhaled into the lungs. We present an usual case in which a needle used to poke the sisha alumunium foil was ingested into the alimentary tract.
A 36 years old Syrian who was previously well presented to our centre with the chief complaint of accidentally ingesting a needle. He came to our centre 3 hours after the ingestion. The needle was used to poke aluminium foil of the shisha and subsequently put in between his teeth. He was having fun with his friend and laughed and in the process ingested the needle. At our centre, his vital signs were all normal. He did not complain any pain or discomfort. Xrays taken showed a 3 centimeters needle over the left gastric area. Surgical referral was made. Patient was observed for 6 hours. Subsequently, decision for surgery was made as the needle remained static.
Discussion & Conclusion
Accidental needle ingestion is unusual. Needle does not travel within the gut easily and tend to get stuck. Surgical intervention is required to remove the foreign body.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).